The next iteration of Super Smash Bros. seems to have leaked its roster. A post in NeoGAF brought to light several pictures from the 3DS version, revealing the full roster and the selection screen. Many people dismissed this as false for various reasons. However, more leaks have appeared, all compiled by NeoGAF, with more screenshots showing off just how the selection works.
The pictures showed the currently revealed roster along with some new additions. The supposed leak informed us of some old characters who are making a return to the series (Ness, Dr. Mario, Wario, Mr. Game & Watch, Falco, Jigglypuff, R.O.B. the Robot and Ganondorf). The newcomers revealed here are Shulk, Dark Pit, the dog from Duck Hunt, and Bowser Jr.
First, let’s start with the newcomers:
- Bowser Jr. — This one is interesting to say the least. I mean, the Koopalings go all the way back to Super Mario World and Bowser Jr. himself shined in Super Mario Sunshine. It also seems he fights in a mech similar to Bowser’s from Super Mario World. This is a good addition to the roster as it adds fresh blood to the list with a different fighting style. This is also almost a given as there is GAMEPLAY of Bowser Jr. who will most definitely be armed with his magic paintbrush.
- Dark Pit — This seems odd and lazy. A clone of Pit is unnecessary on the roster, especially since previous games didn’t have many (if any) clones. Dark Pit is not worthy enough to be added, and the leak slightly falls apart here. Remember in PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale when there were two version of Cole McGrath? People did not like a darker version of a character then, and they will not like it now.
- Shulk — I’ll admit it, I had to Google this character to find out who he was. I believe Shulk could be mostly for the Japanese market. Due to this iteration of Super Smash Bros. not having a character that has only been exclusive in Japan thus far, having Shulk from XenoBlade in the game would be good for the Japanese crowd. Also, having (what seems to be) a new franchise represented here shows that Nintendo has high hopes for the series. Some people on NeoGAF have tried to say that the pose Shulk has is too similar to Little Mac’s, but I believe it is safe to say that this is a good addition
- Duck Hunt Dog — No. I’m sorry, but this is the most unnecessary addition I have ever seen. No one likes the Duck Hunt Dog. Not a soul. However, others have said that ever since Melee, Super Smash Bros. has added a character from out of the blue in order to celebrate their legacy with every installment. On the other side of the coin, the Duck Hunt Dog makes little to no sense as a celebration of Nintendo’s legacy. It is possible that Smash wants to pay homage to the Zapper with this addition. I say that if they can give Pac-Man a full moveset, this could also happen, but I can’t see many playing the dog.
For the returning characters, we have:
- Ness — YES. Why in the world this has not been officially revealed is a mystery. People love Ness ever since he was introduced in the first Super Smash Bros. Personally, I don’t like playing as Ness as he has a very unique gameplay style, but that is exactly why many people love him. I cannot possibly see this all-star fail to make the cut.
- Wario — Wario is fun. The anti-Mario has had his own share of games with the WarioWare series, and he is a staple in the Smash Bros. lineup. If this is true, I would love to play as the greedy little bastard again.
- Dr. Mario — This one is weird. People didn’t really want Dr. Mario to come back, did they? I haven’t really seen people play as Dr. Mario when it comes to Melee. I don’t want to see this come to pass as this spot can be filled by one or two more interesting character(s).
- Jigglypuff — Wait, she hasn’t been confirmed? Huh. This is a no-brainer. Who doesn’t need a little more Jigglypuff in their brawls.
- Mr. Game & Watch — People like Mr. Game & Watch for some reason. While definitely unique, people love him because of the nostalgia and the random factor that comes with playing against him.
- R.O.B. — This entry is very similar to Mr. Game & Watch, but not many people play R.O.B. from what I have seen. However, if people want him to return, I have no objections. He is part of Nintendo’s legacy, and he deserves some respect.
- Falco — Falco is a great character. Many people likely write him off as a Fox clone, but I like Falco. Since he has been a fighter since Melee, I don’t understand why he wouldn’t make the roster.
Second Opinion — Harry’s Thoughts:
I’ll try not to repeat what Shawn wrote. First off, if this is true, let’s not absolutely assume that this is the final roster. There’s still a chance that this is incomplete and that there are more to come. However, the fact that there are SEVERAL videos of Shulk, Ganondorf, and Bowser Jr., make me think that at the very least those three are for real. The fact that the three “clone” characters (Dr. Mario, Lucina, and Dark Pit) are by themselves, and not paired up with their series, strikes me as weird. It either confirms this story as fake, or that there are more characters other than the ones seen. Regardless, there are twenty days until Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS is released in Japan (very jealous by the way), so we’ll have to wait until then to find out which characters will actually be featured.