Earlier today Yoshi-P, director of FFXIV, held another one of his famous Live Letters, where he and two other members of the development team talked about the current state of the game, as well as the upcoming update 2.3.
As per usual I was awake at some obscene hour, 5 cups of coffee in, and ready to take notes on what was shown.
Here’s a list of the highlights of what all was discussed, many thanks to Xander_Valefor for providing the unofficial live translation! Here’s the link to his google doc if you want to read through everything.
- Novus weapons will begin the customization of the Zodiac Weapons. They will be upgraded with the use of “Alexanderites”.
- An “Exploration Log” will be introduced with patch 2.28. (Jumping puzzles?)
- Atma and Animus weapon requirements will not be reduced until 2.3 at the earliest.
- An equipment preview tool will be implemented in patch 2.28.
- Echo will be applied to pets.
- Pre-made parties will be able to use the duty roulette feature now.
- Equipment repaired by a crafter will be set to a default of 199% durability, instead of the 100% from NPC repairs.
- Character titles will finally be viewable.
- New setting to disable already seen cutscenes.
- Fantasia now able to be purchased on the Mog Station! Rough translation of currency puts them at $10 each.
- Patch 2.28 will be released June 4th or June 5th.
Patch 2.3 (Slide 1)
- Patch 2.3 is titled “Defender of Eorzea”.
- Ramuh is coming. He will drop Accessories, but will also drop weapons.
- Ramuh’s Battle Field
- A more in-depth look at Hullbreaker Isle, Tam-Tara (Hard), and Stone Vigil (Hard).
- Item Salvaging will allow crafters to break items down for their base ingredient, “Desynthesis”, but you will not obtain every base item as that would be game breaking.
- You will need to be level 30 on a craft to begin desynthesising.
- Monster Hunts will be introduced, very much akin to Monster Hunts in FFXII.
- There will be different ranks of Monster Hunts for various difficulty levels.
- Monster Hunts will also be involved with obtaining ‘Alexandrites’ used in the Novus questline.
- They addressed the idea of battles being more randomized, with the response that if they did that, fights would not be fair.
- Black Mages will be getting a slight buff to their damage so that they are competitive with other top DPS jobs. Actual changes were not mentioned.
- Chocobo Raising is now official.
- Private rooms will be introduced with 2.3 with the option to buy a personal house to be implemented later.
- Hildibrand quests will be continued along with the main scenario quests.
- Frontlines, the new PvP option, will be discussed at a later time.
- We’ll able to relocate the companion skill points come 2.3.
- The new iteration of Crystal Tower will drop oils of time and sands of time so people will be prompted to participate.
- Dyeable AF gear was shown, possibly only meant for retainers.
- Wedding attire was shown, as well as various types of glasses.
- New seated and standing poses were shown.
- There will be special chocobos designed for two people to ride together.
- There will be a Ramuh inspired chocobo barding, a wedding inspired chocobo barding was also shown.
- 450 day veteran rewards.
The next Live Letters will be held at E3 on June 10th (1pm PDT) and June 12th (10am PDT).
While not many new and exciting announcements were made during this Live Letter, Yoshi-P assured everyone that “great announcements” would be made during the E3 press conferences.
Here is a good list of screen shots that were taken from the Live Letter.
I couldn’t be more excited and I absolutely love waking up at odd hours to watch the Live Letters. Yoshi-P has done an excellent job with the resurrection of FFXIV, and it’ll be interesting to see where he takes it next. I cannot wait for the E3 Live Letters, as I’m sure we’ll finally get a chance to see the new classes / jobs that were teased at the end of patch 2.2’s story-arc.
Mike Morrissette is one of MONG’s Editors. He also has an unhealthy obsession with The Green Lantern and anything involving Nutella. You can follow him on twitter, or friend him on PSN at HaughtyPride.