System Update 5.1.0 will allow Wii U owners to transfer their data to another Wii U, according to Nintendo.
However, this feature does not work on a broken Wii U; it must have two working and present Wii U consoles. It will transfer save data and downloadable content, users, and Nintendo Network IDs. After it is done transferring, the original Wii U will be newly formatted. This will most likely be used by players who want to upgrade to the Wii U Deluxe.
Additional updates included are:
- Users can now navigate the Nintendo eShop using a Wii Remote, Wii U Pro Controller, or Classic Controller
- Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience
- A Quick Start Menu is now displayed when users press the GamePad POWER Button or HOME Button to power on the Wii U
- Users can start recently played or newly installed software directly from the Quick Start Menu
- Wii U GamePad Alerts (special notifications from Nintendo) can be displayed on the GamePad when the Wii U is powered down
- Users will be notified with an audio ringtone when a new GamePad Alert is displayed
- GamePad Alerts that have been received can also be viewed through the Quick Start Menu
- System updates will now automatically install after download when the Wii U is in Standby
- The User Settings screen now displays when users select their User Mii from the Wii U Menu
- The design and layout of the Users Settings screen has been updated
- This includes the ability to switch the active user from the User Settings screen
- Quick Start Menu options have been added to Power Settings
- Wii U GamePad Alert options are located within the Quick Start Menu options
- A Notification icon is now available on the HOME Menu, allowing users to launch the Notifications feature from the HOME Menu
This is a pretty solid update! A lot of this stuff seems like it should have been there, but its great that they are finally adding it in. I am curious about the system data transfer data though. Does this mean that Nintendo is set to reveal new Wii U models?