In a surprise announcement this morning, Bandai Namco announced a new Digimon fighting game will be coming to PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 later this year.
Digimon All-Star Rumble is in development by Prope, who made Digimon Adventure for PSP last year. Bandai Namco’s description of the game is as follows:
In DIGIMON All-Star Rumble the Digital World enjoys a time of restored peace after overcoming numerous wars and crises. However, Digimon must battle to Digivolve, so the restless Digimon propose to hold their first ever “Digimon Evolution Tournament” to determine who is the strongest of them all. In the vivaciously competitive tournament, up to four players will be able to select from a roster of 12 popular base Digimon characters and play as a total of 32 Digimon forms pulled from every Digimon series ranging from Digimon Adventure to Digimon Fusion. Players control these digital monsters and battle for supremacy in the main Versus Battle mode that players of all skill levels will be able to pick up and enjoy.
By powering up in battle, players can Digivolve into a much more powerful form, creating a unique combat atmosphere where players must balance attacking and simultaneously attempt to Digivolve and gain the upper hand. Utilizing special techniques during matches such as activating a Digimon’s “Evolution” power-up along with employing an aggressive attack or defensive strategy will provide colorful and exciting party-arena gameplay so that Digimon fans of all ages can face-off against rivals and become a true Digimon hero!
Features to be included in the game:
- All New Story – Digimon All-Star Rumble features an in-depth campaign mode where players can explore the Digital World through 3D stages. Your ultimate goal is to battle your way to the top of the Digi-Rankings!
- Digi-destined to Digivolve! – Power up and Digivolve to gain advantage over your opponents and deal massive damage!
- Fun for All Ages – Easy pick-up-and-play controls for beginners.
- 10 Different Battle Arenas – Throw down in stages pulled straight from the Digimon Universe!
- DigiCards – Collect DigiCards to enhance and strengthen your Digimon in battle!
Digimon All-Star Rumble is scheduled for release on November 11th in North America and “Fall 2014” in Europe.
This announcement confuses me. English speaking fans have been going CRAZY for a new Digimon game for quite some time now. Just look at the petition for two of the newest games. However, these fans (me included) want a more traditional RPG style of game, not an arena battle game. If you are trying to test the waters in English speaking countries to see if Digimon is still relevant, the way to do it is probably to release a more popular game, not an even more niche game in an already niche fanbase.