I just imagine if you walked into PlayStation right now Party Up by DMX would be blaring, and the vending machines would have king size candy bars instead of regular size for the same price…
Sony has divulged its financial results for the three month period spanning April 1st to June 30th. The report reveals that The Game & Network Services division, aka the PlayStation folk, was one of the corporation’s strongest performing divisions, having reported increase in both sales and profit.
- The G&NS division cited sales at $3.2 billion, which is a 14 percent improvement over the same period in 2015. Operating incomes was $427 million, a 126 percent increase over 2015.
- Sony Corp’s overall profits were said to be at $546 million, which means the games division accounted for 78% of that number.
- According to Sony, rise in sales was due to a significant increase in PlayStation 4 hardware sales, including PSN sales. PS4 hardware cost reduction was also cited for its contribution to the the improvements.
- Sales of the PS4 were reported as 3.5 million units in the three month time period, which brings the total global sales number of the PS4 to around 43.5 million units.
- Sony is currently forecasting a decrease in sales due to the impact of foreign exchange rates. However, it also projects an increase in PS4 software sales, that will slightly offset this.
In all, Sony’s sales and profits are down year-on-year. While the PlayStation division is showing to be very healthy, a majority of its divisions did not show improvement.
Sony needs our help chums — quick, everyone go and buy every bluray copy of The Interview you can find. Steelbook version if you can, digital version if you have to.
Tyler Fischer is an Associate Writer for MONG who plays video games when he’s not busy researching alien conspiracy theories at 2AM. You can find him on Twitter.