Today, developer Tripwire Interactive announced Killing Floor 2 will launch for PlayStation 4 worldwide on November 18th. It will be available digitally, and at retail (also worldwide), via publisher Deep Silver.
Killing Floor 2 is a first-person shooter, that can be played alone or cooperatively with up to six players. The game is based on the events from Killing Floor, in which a deadly outbreak from the bio-technology firm Horzine created Zeds (zombie-like creatures). The outbreak rapidly spread across Europe, paralyzing the European Union, including communications, governments, and military forces. Killing Floor 2 takes place a month after these events, where it is up two a group of civilians to combat the outbreak and establish privately funded operation bases across Europe.
Killing Floor 2 will bring to the table an enhanced level of carnage (via a new high powered persistent blood system), smarter and expanded Zeds, a more expansive perk system, and a reinvention of melee combat.
- Visceral Gore – Killing Floor 2 ramps up the gore with a proprietary, high powered persistent blood system bringing new levels of fidelity to the genre. Players will send entrails, severed limbs, and blood flying as they wade through hordes of enemies. But they need to watch out! If caught, enemies will rip them, and their entire party limb from limb.
- Six player co-op or solo play – A multitude of varied playable characters await for players to choose from as they enter the fray in online co-op mode or solo mode for those willing to brave the horrific specimens alone.
- Terrifying Zeds – New enemies and fan favorites from the original game are back with expanded and smarter artificial intelligence, dishing out powerful attacks, working as a group to weaken the player’s party and pushing the challenge level and fear factor to new levels.
- Unique Blend Of Weaponry – From modern militaristic assault rifles, brutal improvised makeshift weapons, classic historical guns, and off the wall “Mad Scientist” weapons, Killing Floor 2 has a unique blend of killing tools that will satisfy any gamer.
- Expanded Perk System – Perks from the original game have been reimagined with more added to the fold. All perks now progress with meaningful talent choices that amplify different play styles, giving players a progression path that is expansive and full of rewarding milestones.
- Brutal Melee Combat – Killing Floor 2 reinvents melee combat completely. Players now have control over the type of melee attacks they can perform, enabling them to deliver bone-breaking crippling attacks to Zeds.
The first Killing Floor game released for PC on May 14, 2009. Upon release it garnered a 72 on Metacritic.
I have little interest in this game, but I have seen people berating the PlayStation Twitter account looking for a release date announcement — so at least that will stop. I may still jump into the game for a few hours, put my feet up and knock a few Zeds back. Sounds like a decent time by normal measures.
Tyler Fischer is a Senior Writer for MONG who plays video games when he’s not busy researching alien conspiracy theories at 2AM. You can find him on Twitter.