It seems that people wanted to shoot hoops, fight Mario, and shoot things up in October.
The top ten games sold during October 2014 according to the NPD are listed below.
- NBA 2K15 for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PC
- Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS
- The Evil Within for PS4, Xbox One, PS3, Xbox 360, PC
- Borderlands: The Pre-sequel for Xbox 360, PS3, PC
- Destiny for Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS4, PS3
- Skylanders: Trap Team for Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii, Nintendo Wii U, PS3, Xbox One, PS4, 3DS
- FIFA 15 for PS4, Xbox 360, PS3, Xbox One, Wii, PlayStation Vita, 3DS
- Madden NFL 15 for Xbox 360, PS4, PS3, Xbox One
- Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor for PS4, Xbox One, PC
- Minecraft for Xbox 360, PS3, PS4
The platforms that the games were sold on are ordered from the best-selling to the worst-selling. Also, as always, the NPD report counts physical copies of games for the month, so digital copies of a game and digital games are not accounted for here.
This is a weird month, I guess. Super Smash Bros. did not surprise me, but NBA 2K15 did. One more surprise was that Destiny sold better on Xbox 360 than any other console. It might be due to the install base being larger and the lack of digital sales being represented, but it is still unexpected nonetheless. The other games are fairly unexpected, as games like Sunset Overdrive were released at the end of the month. What did you buy this month?