Although it has been known for a while that Sucker Punch has been developing a new game, we didn’t know which platform it was for. Until now, that is.
Below you can see the text of each ad. One mentions desiring previous experience working on PlayStation 4, indicating the new game will most likely be on PS4 and is not the rumored inFAMOUS title on PlayStation Vita.
We are looking for very talented environment artists to join the Sucker Punch team. Candidates must be proficient in complex 3D modeling, UV editing, texture placement, creation and editing of layered textures.
We have a dynamic, creative and friendly atmosphere at our studio, where you can have a big impact on a project as an individual and as part of the creative team. Come join us at our Seattle/Bellevue studio & remember to bring your snowboard, rain jacket and mountain bike so you can explore the beautiful Pacific Northwest.
- Modeling and texturing of game environment assets using Autodesk Maya.
- Creation of realistic looking textures in Photoshop and in our proprietary shaders and tools.
- Learn our production pipeline, methods, and how to implement models into the run-time engine.
- Models must work within the performance and memory constraints of the game engine and hardware.
- Adhering to production schedules to meet down-stream production needs.
- Ability to adapt and assume new responsibilities should the need arise.
- Possible placement of assets into the run-time game environment.
- Highly skilled in creating realistic looking textures and models.
- Proficient in Maya and Photoshop.
- Ability to follow art direction critiques and produce results on deadline.
- A strong artistic sense of shape, proportion, and color.
- Solid skills in texturing and UV editing.
- Ability to work well within a team is a must.
- Sense of collaboration and self-discipline is also a must.
DESIRED SKILLS AND PLUSES:
- Knowledge of real-time rendering tech.
- Experience and skills using ZBrush or other sculpting software.
- Console development experience.
- Knowledge of Substance or Quixel.
Sucker Punch Productions is looking for an Environment Texture artist with a minimum of 2+ years of experience and a solid understanding of advanced run-time rendering technologies. We have a dynamic, creative and friendly atmosphere at our studio, where you can have a big impact on a project as an individual and as part of the creative team. Come join us at our Seattle/Bellevue studio & remember your snowboard, rain jacket and mountain bike so you can explore the beautiful Pacific Northwest.
- Create complex layered texture maps.
- Map textures onto 3D models and surfaces.
- Create advanced or simple material shaders as needed.
- Communicate and work with the rendering programming team to help with development of material shaders and establishing support needs.
- Follow established art direction and style through use of concepts and critiques.
- Work with modelers and design to create visually striking game environments.
- Finishing out levels or areas of the environment, detail and polish work.
Qualifications and Skills
- A minimum of 2+ years of experience in video game production with solid understanding of advanced run-time rendering technology and at least 1 published game title.
- Ability to work with minimal direction and desire to take on responsibilities within team-based work environment.
- Skilled at texturing surfaces and use of materials on variety of game assets
- Must be able to work with and interpret concept art to achieve detail; be able to research or track down real-world reference when needed.
- Highly developed eye for color and detail
- Problem solver with ability to learn new technologies and software on-the-fly.
- Excellent Photoshop and Maya skills.
- Strong knowledge of ZBrush.
- Traditional drawing, painting, photography or sculpture skills.
- Knowledge of texturing programs like Substance or Quixel.
- General knowledge of physically based lighting and rendering.
- Previous PlayStation 4 game development.
Portfolio and other Requirements
- A portfolio review is required. We prefer web-based submissions, but will evaluate DVDs if necessary.
- Applicants should expect to take a texture test on provided 3d model(s).
- Applicants must be able to work in the USA and willing to relocate to the Seattle, WA area.
The game is set to use physically based rendering and lighting, which they already used in inFAMOUS: Second Son to great success.
It remains to be seen whether this is a new Intellectual Property (IP) or not. Hopefully we will hear something about it at the PlayStation Experience this weekend.
I don’t really know what to make of this. I don’t think the game is a new IP, because I don’t think the studio needs to develop a new IP and should stay with the inFAMOUS brand (considering how underwhelming the story was in Second Son).
Kaleob Archambeau is an Associate Writer for MONG. He also lives about two hours away from the studio is not really pleased on their depiction of Seattle.