Sucker Punch isn’t being too sly with this job description.
A new game from Sucker Punch is in the works, and you can help develop it. Well, as long as you meet these requirements:
- A demo reel (with supporting breakdown of your own work), should demonstrate
- tools, rigging, user interface design, and technical ability.
- Minumum Bachelor’s Degree preferred in related field.
- Strong skills in Maya rigging, enveloping and high quality deformations.
- Strong knowledge of Maya and it’s dag networks/ nodes/ commands and workflows.
- Strong interest in working on Games
- Must thoroughly understand Maya joint properties and transforms, constraints and space-switching concepts, fkik, various ik types
- Must have experience building simple to complex rigs and rig parts that are optimized for efficiency for animation and LOD’ing.
- Basic understanding of Scripted Procedural Rig Build Systems and animation/rigging pipelines as well as manual rigging techniques.
- Understanding of motion capture integration for rigs and related workflows
- Able to confidently and efficiently take on any high quality deforming or mechanical rigging tasks variations(character bodies/faces/creatures/robots/vehicles/props ect..)
- Experience with rigging for games.
- Experience with various techniques used for rigging toward realism/hyper-realism (for pre-renders, Commericals/Film/Cinematics for example) would be a plus.
- Understanding of animation concepts and supporting tools
- Basic Modeling/UV layout skills
- Basic Familiarity with Shaders
- Good math skills, minimum of vector/matrix math
- Experience and demonstrated skill with Maya scripting (python) with knowledge of object oriented programming and inheritance concepts.
- Tool and Interface Design (python)
- Some Experience with Maya API programming (python or C++) preferred
- Some Cloth/Hair/Muscle setup and simulation experience preferred (coupled with strong aesthetic and decent understanding of their base properties)
- Basic knowledge of Secondary Animation Rigging and Muscle System Techniques
- Must have understanding basic BioMechanics and human anatomy and how it relates to rigs with strong supporting aesthetic.
The last game they released was inFAMOUS: Second Son (we thought it was great), which released in March of last year. A similar job popped up a few months ago. It is safe to assume that they are making progress on the game but quite some time before it is finished. If you want to apply for the job you can head to their website.
Second Son was the game that disappointed me most last year. I love the inFAMOUS series, but I hope that this new project is something unrelated to the franchise.
Riley Berry is an Associate Writer for MONG, who spent way too much time electrocuting the innocent civilians of New Marais. You can follow him on IGN and Twitter.
One thought on “Sucker Punch Hiring For New Game”
I actually really enjoyed the Second Son story arc. Although, I felt Delsin’s character was weak and not as interesting as Cole, or Fetch. I hope they can focus on the right characters next time around.