I hope you have some free time because Xenoblade Chronicles X is over 300 hours long.
In Xenoblade Chronicles X, you are a new member of the military organisation BLADE, who has just landed on the planet Mira. It is your job to find “Life” on the planet, because there are still some cryogenically-frozen humans sleeping in escape pods, from when a ship from Earth crash landed onto Mira. Furthermore, you’ll use the “Frontier Net” information system, displayed on the Wii U gamepad, to gather other data which you will come across as you explore Mira.
The missions you take part in in Xenoblade Chronicles X will depend on which Union (faction) you belong to, so you could be taking part in many different missions. Later on in the game you’ll be able to swap between the different unions at will. All of the unions are listed below:
- Path Finder: A Union of the pioneers, with the significance of a pioneer. They’re in charge of setting data probes and expanding the Frontier Net.
- Interceptor: A Union in charge of exterminating protists. They take on the role of guards that protect the survey teams and help in the rescue of New Los Angeles citizens.
- Avalanche: The Interceptors are about “protecting,” and the Avalanche are their opposite as the “attackers”. Their role is to subdue dangerous creatures.
- Testament: A Union in charge of the search and recovery of remains from the White Whale spaceship wreckage. They are also in charge of recovering things that get lost in the battlefield.
- Colepedian: A pioneer Union similar to the Path Finder, but the Colepedians go ahead of any other Union to survey and gather material.
- Land Bank: This Union is in charge of maintaining the livelihoods of the people. They search Mira for resources and gather minerals.
- Arms: The Union in charge of helping the Arms Company develop weapons for Dolls and soldiers.
- Companion: They play the role of mediators, fixing any problem between citizens of New Los Angeles. This includes everything from stopping quarrels to looking for lost cats. They’re practically a jack-of-all-trades.
Furthermore, two new characters were revealed: Nagi and Guin. Nagi used to be the Captain of the White Whale and is now the Military Chief in the Autonomous Government of the New Los Angeles.
Guin used to work in the same division as Elma and Irina on Earth.
The “X” (cross) in Xenoblade Chronicles X’s title is related to the online functionality. However, it won’t be like your standard online game. Instead, Xenoblade Chronicles X’s world will be “loosely connected” in a Dark Souls-like way.
Moreover, the size of Mira is 400km squared, which is five times bigger than Xenoblade Chronicles world. This meant that Monolith Soft originally thought that they’d need to ship the game on two discs because of the disc space the game would require. Also, if you plan on beating this game, I hope you have some free time because the final play time is clocked in at over 300 hours!
Combat in Xenoblade Chronicles X is heavily based on Xenoblade Chronicles’ combat but it’s faster, more action-oriented and there’s a bigger difference between close and long-range attacks. There are no longer dedicated medics however there is a new special healing system called Soul Voice. Also, the number of unique monsters and equipment have increased.
Want a chance to win a free game? Good news! We’re running a giveaway that you can enter up until February 9th! Go here to enter!
I’m really excited for Xenoblade Chronicles X. But, I’m worried about the total play time being above 300 hours. Firstly, I don’t think I will have enough time, and secondly, I’m worried that Monolith Soft has focused on quantity over quality. I guess we’re just going to have to wait and see. Finally, for those wondering, I’ll be joining the Arms Union – I really want to ride around in those Dolls.
Lucy Pallent is a Senior Writer at MONG. She is a girl gamer from a rock in the middle of nowhere and is the world’s biggest n00b. She likes Nintendo, JRPGs and food. Feel free to follow her random ramblings on Twitter.