It’s time folks — time to see which game conquered the sales charts for the month of May. Was it Uncharted 4? Was it Overwatch? Was it Cory in the House on DS? Let’s take a look.
Thanks to the good folks over at the NPD Group and their sales report — the top ten best-selling physical games in the US have been revealed. Like the top three best-selling digital games for the month of May, Uncharted 4, Overwatch, and DOOM have taken the cake.
Important to note: the NPD does not include digital copies. So while Overwatch hit 7 million players — a lot of these are likely to be digital sales, especially since a lot were on PC. Also important to note: the NPD only covers the US.
Best-Selling Physical Games in the US for May 2016
- Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End (PS4)
- Doom (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
- Overwatch (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
- Battleborn (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
- Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
- Minecraft (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
- NBA 2K16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
- Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
- MLB The Show 16 (PS4, PS3)
- Dark Souls III (PS4, Xbox One)
(Left to right reads where the game sold the most)
- Every game in the top 10 sold better on PlayStation 4 except Call of Duty: Black Ops 3, which sold better on Xbox One.
- Overwatch managed to nab the third spot despite having considerably less time on the market than other games on the list. The NPD notes that when comparing “sales for days in the market, Overwatch doubled the sales of Doom.”
- Doom had its series’ best first month when combining sales across all of its platforms.
- The NPD report notes Uncharted 4’s “considerable feat” of claiming the number one spot despite being a PlayStation 4 platform exclusive.
- Battleborn despite being available for the whole month and seeing large discounts managed to only rank 4th, behind its space competitor, Overwatch.
- May saw a substantial year-over-year growth. Total sales increased by 50 percent compared to May 2015.
This past May is the best May I can remember for video games. I’ve never played so many games and seen so little sun. I imagine even the juggernaut months of October and November will struggle to top May’s lineup.
Tyler Fischer is an Associate Writer for MONG who plays video games when he’s not busy researching alien conspiracy theories at 2AM. You can find him on Twitter.
One thought on “Top Ten best selling physical games in the US for May 2016”
I like Grand Theft Auto V more than Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End. I love the gameplay storyline and also the missions