What is The Huntsman: Winter’s Curse? Well, here’s an overview of the game, via its Steam page.
“Winter is fast approaching as Queen Freya’s army marches relentlessly on the White Lands. Beneath the shadow of that deadly war Elisabeth’s quiet life on her family’s farm in Vardhelm comes to an abrupt end as she embarks on a journey of her own. Join her on a quest to find her missing brothers as you explore an expanded Huntsman universe, one where you’ll encounter both familiar faces and new dangers, all while discovering the secret Elisabeth herself unknowingly carries.”
- Meet Elisabeth: Determined and optimistic, Elisabeth believes in fairy tales and happy endings–and is skilled enough with a sword to make them come true.
- Meet Marcus: A staunch ally with unusual magic, Marcus’ path seems entwined with Elisabeth’s–yet he hides secrets of his own that might endanger all Elisabeth fights for.
- Participate in An Interactive Story: Play through an immersive and interactive story filled with suspense and mystery.
- A Distinct Visual Style: Explore the world of Snow White and the Huntsman brought to life via a distinctive hand-drawn macabre style with character designs by Abigail Larson.
- Engage in Strategic Combat: Engage with wisps, goblins, trolls and more via a strategic and visually appealing combat system.
- Lead Your Character’s Progression: Earn new equipment and select new abilities for your characters throughout the journey.
The Huntsman: Winter’s Curse originally launched for PC on April 22, 2016. Upon release it garnered 108 positive reviews, and 34 negative on Steam.
Rule Number 53: licensed games are almost always bad. That being said, The Huntsman: Winter’s Curse looks quite good. But Rule Number 53 says it likely won’t be. But I trust my own judgement, and my judgment is saying to buy it. But still….when has Rule Number 53 failed me? Conflicted.
Tyler Fischer is a Senior Writer for MONG who plays video games when he’s not busy researching alien conspiracy theories at 2AM. You can find him on Twitter.