Rime developer Tequila Works has announced The Sexy Brutale for PS4, Xbox One and PC. The game is set to arrive sometime in Q1 2017.
The game isn’t just being developed by Tequila Works, as new UK-based developer Cavalier Game Studios has been announced as a collaborator.
So, what is The Sexy Brutale all about? Well, here’s an official description:
“Set during a single, endlessly-looping day within “The Sexy Brutale” – a stately English mansion converted into a bizarre casino and named by the enigmatic Marquis – players take on the role of elderly priest Lafcadio Boone. To progress, Boone must hide, watch and learn the colorful stories of the other guests at the ball in order to save them from grisly deaths at the hands of the mansion’s staff.
By discovering the key moments and methods how each guest can be saved and gaining occult-seeming powers linked to their masks, Lafcadio is able to explore deeper and deeper into the mysteries of the mansion’s past and inhabitants to uncover the truth hidden at the heart of The Sexy Brutale.”
- Unique “Groundhog Day” puzzle concept – hours of gameplay exploring a single day from different perspectives and locations.
- Watch, listen and learn until you are ready to act to save each guest from murder.
- Multiple distinct areas of the mansion to explore, each with its own scenario, characters and puzzles.
- Darkly-humorous murder-mystery story spanning the entire mansion.
- Exotic cast of characters, including 9 guests.
- Acquire special powers by saving victims to progress deeper into the mansion and uncover the secret at the heart of The Sexy Brutale.
In the press release Tequila Works CEO Raul Rubio revealed that the game was originally a Cavalier Game Studios’ game before Tequila decided to jump aboard:
“When Cavalier asked for our feedback on their build of The Sexy Brutale, I immediately knew we had to be part of it. By combining the unique talents of both our teams we are proud to have created a genuinely intriguing and unforgettable experience for players to enjoy.”
Interestingly enough, The Sexy Brutale is scheduled to release before Tequila Works long-time-coming own game, Rime. Perhaps this game is the reason Rime has gotten pushed so far back?
The concept and elevator pitch sound interesting, but frankly I need to see much more before I register any type of opinion.
Tyler Fischer is a Senior Writer for MONG who plays video games when he’s not busy researching alien conspiracy theories at 2AM. You can find him on Twitter.