The results are in! The gaming powerhouse, PlayStation 4, has now been the top-selling console in the United States for five straight months!
NPD reports that the PlayStation 4 continued its reign atop the home console market in May for the United States, though Sony and its competitors have not released their official number of sales yet. May proved to be an awesome month for hardware sales as consoles have officially doubled sales from last year in the same month.
The software side of things also had an incredible month with over $274 million in sales. This was mainly due to the large number of big name new releases. The official standings for software sales in May are as follows:
- Watch Dogs (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
- Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)
- MLB 14: The Show (PS4, PS3, Vita)
- Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
- Minecraft (360, PS3)
- The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (360, PS3, PS4, XBO, 3DS, Wii U)
- NBA 2K14 (360, PS4. PS3, Xbox One, PC)
- Titanfall (360, Xbox One, PC)
- Kirby: Triple Deluxe (3DS)
- Call Of Duty: Ghosts (360, PS4, PS3, XBO, PC, Wii U)
It was expected that Watch Dogs would dominate the top of the list with the quick start it had, but seeing Mario Kart 8 in second place is incredible news. Mario Kart only had 2 days to work with, yet it still managed to make it to the number two spot? Damn. Congrats to Nintendo on the awesome month. Let’s just hope that the Wii U sales also spiked.