Ubisoft CEO Says Nintendo Customers Do Not Buy Assassin’s Creed

If you were hoping the next Assassin’s Creed would be coming to Wii U, consider your hopes dashed. Ubisoft will no longer be bringing the series to Nintendo’s home console.

Speaking with Game Informer at Gamescom, Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot discussed how consumer interest in Wii U games has altered Ubisoft’s focus on the system:

It’s very simple. What we see is that Nintendo customers don’t buy Assassin’s Creed. Last year, we sold in very small numbers. What we see is that they are very interested in Just Dance, very interested by other kinds of games. So what we are trying to do is to focus more on the types of games they are interested in.

The exception to this approach is Watch_Dogs, which is still being developed for Wii U. In fact, it will be the only M-rated game Ubisoft publishes on the system.

salesWii U made up 3% of total sales for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2014. The Xbox One and PlayStation 4 made up 6% and 9%, respectively. Wii sales, on the other hand, made up 11% of the total, largely due to the Just Dance series.

Do you think Ubisoft is making the right call?

My Opinion:

Seems like this comes down to the numbers. From a business perspective, I can see how a company would want to focus on systems where certain titles sell better. But at the same time, Just Dance 2015 is being released on all home platforms, even though the Wii version has historically sold better than all other versions combined. Regardless, I don’t think this decision will significantly affect either Nintendo or Ubisoft.


Benjamin Luthi is an Associate Writer for MONG who wishes he could go to the Mushroom Kingdom for realsies. Follow him on Facebook or Twitter.

One thought on “Ubisoft CEO Says Nintendo Customers Do Not Buy Assassin’s Creed”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s