Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King is coming to Nintendo 3DS… in Japan.
The game, which was first released on the PlayStation 2 in 2004 and later on smartphones this past December, is planned for release on August 27th. The 3DS version will include a new scenario, full voice-overs, StreetPass support, music from the Tokyo Metropolitan Symphony Orchestra, and two new party members. The first is Morrie from Dragon Quest: Monster Battle Road and the second is an all new character, a female thief named Gerda.
Various pre-orders are available:
- Square Enix e-Store – “Candy Cane” (weapon for Yangus) – A mysterious spear that will absolutely cause damage and is even effective on metallic monsters.
- Amazon.co.jp – Healie T-Shirt (armor for everyone) – A mysterious shirt that recovers HP little by little as you walk.
- Aeon – Healie Cap (helmet for everyone) – A hat that increases your dexterity and maximum HP.
- Game Tsutaya – Golden Bamboo Spear (weapon for the protagonist) – An expensive spear made of pure gold. If you don’t want it, you can sell it for 5,000 gold.
- 7-Eleven – Lucky Pendant (accessory for everyone) – A magic pendant that makes it easier to dodge enemy attacks.
- Yodobashi Camera – Metal Slime Tray (shield for everyone) – A metal tray that slightly defends against magic attacks.
No announcement has been made for a Western release.
Dragon Quest is a series that not as readily available as its contemporary, Final Fantasy. A lot of the games have been released on smartphones but that’s not a platform I want to play those games on. Seeing this game coming to the 3DS feels like a perfect fit in that it’s a portable console with buttons. It’s disappointing that no American release has been announce but one can hope. I remember liking the first game on the NES back in the day, though my more recent playthrough of it was more of a slog, so I would like to see where the series is nowadays.