QUICK! MANUFACTURE SOME MORE WALUIGI AMIIBOS!
Pertinent information revealed:
- Net sales were cited as $587 million, which represents a 31 percent decline in comparison to 2015, which reported at sales of $855 million.
- Operating income declined for a second straight year in this period. Nintendo reported a $48 million loss in 2016, and during the same period in 2015, the loss was $10 million. Meaning since 2014, in the same period, sales have declined by $58 million.
- A decline in sales of both the 3DS and Wii U were reported by Nintendo as one of the causes for such a dip. Sales of its handheld were 940,000 units for the period, a seven percent decline over the previous year. The Wii U, meanwhile, only sold 220,000 units over this period, a 53 percent decrease compared to 2015.
- From a software perspective, worldwide Wii U sales remained flat, with 4.6 million units reported for the 2016 period, compared to 4.5 million in 2015. The 3DS sales for the 2016 period showed a small improvement, rising from 7.9 million units worldwide in 2015 to 8.4 million units in 2016. Kirby: Planet Robobot and Fire Emblem Fates were noted for their “steady sales.”
- Nintendo also mentioned foreign exchange rates, which it said was impacted substantially by yen appreciation, resulting in a $332 million loss.
It’s no surprise both of Nintendo’s consoles have dipped in sales with the Nintendo NX on the horizon.
Tyler Fischer is an Associate Writer for MONG who plays video games when he’s not busy researching alien conspiracy theories at 2AM. You can find him on Twitter.