Driveclub VR has been officially announced for launch sometime later this year, exclusively for PlayStation VR.
The news comes via the PlayStation Blog. In addition to expressing excitement about the opportunity to bring Driveclub to VR, Principal Programmer for SIE Immersive Technology Group also revealed that the game has been in development for about a year. He also provided the following details:
- Game modes: Online virtual reality multiplayer race modes and an action-packed single player career are joined by drifting and time trial challenges
- Tracks: New and classic Driveclub tracks are brought to life through the power of PlayStation VR, including five all-new Urban locations
- A closer look: Every car is recreated with immaculate detail for players to explore up close with Inspection Mode
- Cruise control: A little time to kick back, open the throttle or just coast and explore any track, in any country at your leisure in Cruise Mode.
- Virtual passenger: An immersive thrill ride through exciting replays of hot laps as players watch themselves handle their greatest challenges from a unique viewpoint in Passenger Mode.
No exact release date or price point was given. The game is playable on the show floor at Gamescom
I imagine Driveclub VR will not be for weak-stomachs, or people whose eyes can barely handle the most simple of VR games (like me). Still, I imagine if one genre is likely to be find its new home on VR, it would be the racing genre.
Tyler Fischer is a Senior Writer for MONG who plays video games when he’s not busy researching alien conspiracy theories at 2AM. You can find him on Twitter.